The dollar I never forgot...

Once upon a time, many moons ago...when I was 19 to be kinda exact, I had a weekend 'adventure'. At that time, I was newly arrived in Reno, Nevada, in the Air Force, a surgical technician and worked a second job (off base) in a hospital.

I soon became friends with a Paiute Indian girl who was a co-worker. She did me the honor of inviting me to her high school graduation to be held at the reservation school...4o miles away.
Since I had no car, the only way to get there was to hitch-hike (back in that day it was an 'acceptable' way for an airman to travel)...so I accepted.

Dressed in my summer uniform, I went and had a 'wonderful new experience'. As I had my thumb out, planning on hitching the 52 miles back to base, I looked at the road that intersected it and saw the 'Lake Tahoe' sign. Hm mm. I'd never been there saw I thought I'd check it out.
This was Saturday afternoon. By 5 AM Sunday morning my 'curiosity' and I ended up at the corner of Hollywood and Vine St. in Hollywood, California.

I was not one to plan ahead much, at that time, so I spent my last money buying a map so that I could find my way back to Stead AFB. By the time I got to the High Sierra mountains, my stomach thought my throat had been cut...I was hungry. With my thumb out again, a nice lady stopped and picked me up. I don't know why, maybe she heard my stomach rumble...but she asked me when I last ate.

I didn't want to lie,so I mumbled, "last night". She pulled out a dollar and gave it to me and told me to buy something when I got to an eating place. A dollar bought a lot more in the 50's than it does now. At first I didn't want to take it because I didn't know how I would repay it. But this is what she said, "Remember this dollar. If you find someone who needs help and you are able to help them, do it." That's why I remember my 'dollar story'. It's a gift I received that adds a new meaning to 'help'.

The End of John's "One Weekend in the 50's Story"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...