It's funny how things happen sometimes....

Sometimes I wonder about the things that are happening in my life...and I wonder why they happen the way they do.  Is it an accident?  Or...am I finding things that I 'need to know exactly when I need to know them'?   This is an example.  I have a friend who has written a book that inspires me a great deal.  Last night I was chatting online with a new friend who has also written a book.  Which made me think of a book I have in my bookcase, written by the brother/uncle of a mother/daughter duo that I used to work with. (I hadn't met the guy, but he thinks much like I do.)

This morning, I was thinking that it would be fun to sit on the couch, listen to piano music and relax while reading the last mentioned book.  When I got the book out, I found a letter I had written to Sylvia, my wife, several years ago when I was taking one of my f2k classes at Writers Village University.  This is what I said in the letter...

Hey, baby. Guess what!  Another letter. "Why the heck is he writing another letter?, she thinks. Because you're married to a writer...not a 'wanna be' writer...but a writer.  And you are an important part of it.  How so?  I need your opinion.  Why?

1. I want to write novels.  And I want them to make the bestseller list.  First of all, to make that happen it is going to have to appeal to both men and women, I have to make my characters BELIEVEABLE to both.  When I create a character of a woman I have to jump into her SKIN and have her say and do things that a women might say or do...otherwise it's going to sound like it's something that some 'dumb klutz guy' who knows NOTHING about women would write...and whoosh, there goes my bestseller right out the window.  Kaput.

That's where you come in.  You're a woman and you know what 'feels' right as a woman.  You might not have the same ideas as my characters BUT you are HIGHLY INTELLIGENT (and where you get the idea that I think you're stupid, I'll never know...because you can't be both at the same time) and you are WELL-READ.  You've read MANY books and I think that you are able to tell if it 'feels' right.  Probably you won't be interested in WHAT I'm writing...but I value you're insight and opinion.  So I NEED your help.

2. If I'm going to be successful, I'm going to have to 'create' my own style.  If I try to copy someone else's...I'm going to fall flat on my ass.  I don't want to write like 'anyone else.'  If I try to copy someone elses' style...I'll never be as good as the original.  I TRUST your opinion.  I trust it when you say something is good...from past experience.  Do you know why?  Because everytime you've said "...it's perfect, don't change a word."...I don't and get good responses.

Look, I don't only want you behind me, but BESIDE me.  We're partners...right?

And I have another thought.  Our partnership is not only about MY dream.  What about yours?  Do you have one?  Tell me what...and I'll be there for you.  I have a suggestion...just something to think about.  You don't have to come up with a yes or no answer...just think about it.  I've listened to you and watched you over the years.  How about taking a correspondace course in Interior Decorating?  Not as a job but more as a hobby.  I can see you doing it.  You're smart, talented and I can see the look in your eyes when you're working on an idea.  It's excitement.  You have fun with it.

If it's something you're even remotely interested in...I'll do the legwork and send for the brochures on classes, what they offer, price etc.  Then if it's something you're interested in, I'll be there with you all the way.  I BELIEVE in you and KNOW that you can do it..that is, if it's something you want to do.  I don't believe in the crap that it's "too late" or we're too old" or anything like it.  I have no intention of sitting in a friggin' wheelchair saying, "I wish I would have done it"  Let's DO it.  You're smart and talented.  If there's anything you WANT to do...let me know and we can put our MINDS together and make it happen.  We've done it before...and we can do it again.  I LOVE YOU.

This a letter I found tucked in 'this' book.  She was funny.  Sometimes she would tuck one of my letters in a book to see if I was 'paying attention'.   I wrote it to Sylvia when we were fast approaching 70.  I copied...word for word, typos and all.  Why?  I don't know.  Even though she's no longer on this earth, the fact that she tucked it in this particular book that she was reading, shows me that 'it's all making sense' to me.  Even if it doesn't to anyone else.  We are still a team...with dreams to left to follow.  It ain't over yet.  :D

Comments

Edward Q McBeth said…
I think one of the reasons you inspire John is because you exude honesty. Write on!

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...