"I Gotta Be Me"...who else?

One of the many favorite things I enjoy are songs that ‘grab me’ for one reason or other... and stick in my noodle.

"I Gotta Be Me" is one of those. I realized that I'm at this stage of my life it could be my theme song. So John Crocker aka the Moonshooter needs a theme song? Sure...why not?

I, of course being the ‘aspiring novelist’ that I am, was nosy and had to find out where it came from and when...and talk about timing. Whoa. It’s from a Broadway musical (and I love musicals) called The Golden Rainbow, that closed on January 11, 1969. Exactly forty years ago today.

I like the Rainbow part in the title because it reminds me of ‘Over the Rainbow’ from the Wizard of OZ, one of my favorite movies. That’s cool too. So what did I do next? You didn’t ask...but I’ll tell you anyhow.
I printed out the lyrics and they go like this...


Whether I’m right or whether I’m wrong
Whether I find a place in this world or never belong
I gotta be me, I gotta be me
What else can I be but what I am

I want to live, not merely survive
And I won’t give up this dream
Of life that keeps me alive
I gotta be me, I gotta be me
The dream that I see makes me what I am

That far away prize, a world of success
Is waiting for me if I heed the call
I won’t settle down, I won’t settle for less
As long as there’s a chance that I can have it all

I’ll go it alone, that’s how it must be
I can’t be right for somebody else
If I’m not right for me
I gotta be free, I gotta be free
Daring to try, to do it or die
I gotta be me

I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
I can't be right for somebody else
If I'm not right for me
I gotta be free, I just gotta be free
Daring to try, to do it or die
I gotta be me.

When I finished reading the lyrics, I thought that this is what 'being ME' is all about. I am who I am...and I’m stuck with it. As it's been said , just go with the flow. That's what John Crocker , 70 year old aspiring novelist is doing....shooting for the moon. And I'm a'whistling my new ‘theme song’, I GOTTA BE ME. It's kinda catchy, huh? :)

And in the profound words of Bugs Bunny, "Thhhhhhhhat’s all folks."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...