Growing 'older' is the only way to Grow..

A few days ago I celebrated...yes, celebrated... my 71st birthday. Yep, and what, Rosannie, the manager of one of my jobs pointed out, it only means that I've successfully been on this planet called "Earth" for that number of years. Birthdays are just another reason to celebrate and add another candle to the cake...unless, like in my case there are so many I'm afraid of starting a bonfire and don't have the oooomph to blow them all out. But there aren't too many 16 year olds that could do that either. :)

So how old am I actually? 31 What does that mean? A 90 year old woman, who was one of the youngest thinking 'older' person I knew at the time taught me her 'trick'. She said pick a number...any number you like, and stay that number for the rest of your life. You're body will naturally grow older, but you won't because YOU are not your body.

So I picked "31" as my number because it felt right. So if a situation comes up where my age is comes in to the conversation...sometimes I'll say my age in 'Earth" years...or I'll say I'm "31".
Which exactly means I'm not hung up on a number and all that growing older means is that every day is 'a new birth day'...the first day of the rest of my life. And that's a GOOD thing. It beats the heck out of waking up one morning and finding my name listed in the Obituary Column. What a drag that would be.

Am I over the hill? Of course I am. It was an uphill climb for the first part and now it's time to coast...except for a few bumps in the road. But come to think of it...maybe I'm up to climbing a few more mountains because I still have about 40 years worth of stuff to do. I guess it's all how you look at it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...