The IMPORTANCE of eye care...

In the past I considered myself to be a reasonably intelligent guy. Maybe not the sharpest tack in the box but not the dullest either. But now, I think is a good time for me to 'fess up to dumbest thing I did...or rather didn't do. I didn't get my eyes checked for maybe 15+ years. Smart? Not exactly. It was just one of those things I kept putting off...until I had the time...or the extra money... or when I didn't have more 'important' things to do, etc. And my vision, which is one of my most valuable assets took a backseat to the other things that were going on in my life.

Over a period of time my vision changed. I even came up with an anagram for the change. ICSFS (I Can't See For Sh....oot). I reasoned that it was because my glasses might be just a smidgen 'out of date'...and that's what I told everyone around me. And still I didn't go for an eye check. It progressed to the point that I thought it was probably my glasses...but what if it wasn't. It was a secret fear that I kept to myself.

Sylvia, my wife didn't have a clue about my secret because I didn't tell her...or anyone else. It wasn't until I told her about what I wasn't able to see and the thoughts that were forming in the back of my mind , that things changed. As soon as she found out what was wrong... because she knew something was...she took action. Oh, boy. Syl laid down the law and said that I was going for an eye test, NOW. No more putting it off. Did you ever try to argue with a brick wall once it's made up it's mind to something? That's my wife. The appointment was made and I went off for my eye exam, excited and a little bit hesitant. Was it only problem with out-of -date lenses..or something else?

The results? I have thick cataracts. Wahooo. It's something that can be fixed. Thank God for wife who had common sense that I didn't. And for the new technology that can pinpoint vision problems, fix what can be fixed and ...in my case give new hope for a brighter future. I now understand the importance of putting regular eye exams both for better vision but for peace of mind as well. I can deal with things when I know what I'm dealing with.

Last Friday I was scheduled for lens measurements that are needed prior to surgery. It's scheduled for next Wednesday, so that was one appointment I was NOT going to miss. For me,the only way I could get to the Eye Care Center on that day was by bus. If I missed my connection downtown I would have to go the distance and walk the rest of the way. Half the way on flatland...the rest of it going up a hill that to a dude my age would be like climbing Mt. Everest. Well, almost. But I came this far. I then wished I could figure out some other way...and a miracle happened. It turned out the Eye Care Center had a van and I had a ride. Wow!!

Friday morning I was excited. The van arrived and as I climbed into the passenger seat, I met the driver, John. My first impression of him was that he was a real 'people person', He smiled as he shook my hand and introduced himself. On the short ride he made me feel comfortable, like I had known him for a long time. What a perfect start to my day. We chatted and he answered the questions I had...because I'm the inquisitive sort and after the tests were done, we talked on the way back. It was a great day, at a great place...and I met great people. How good can it get.?

Wednesday is the first surgery on my right eye. John again will be picking me up for another 'big day'. The one lesson I've learned out of this is to get my priorities straight. MAKE the time for the important things. The other things will take care of themselves. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...ALMOST.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...