Playing with Ben...Franklin that is.

I was sitting at the kitchen table a few minutes ago thinking, "The day that I stop asking questions will be the day I'll turn into Mr. Know It All.' " ... and with all the things in this universe to explore, it won't happen for at least another forty years.

One of the things I've wondered about thus giving me more questions to ask was written by Benjamin Franklin in Poor Richard's Almanack in the 1700's. It was, from what I gather the Colonial America's forerunner to the more recent Farmer's Almanac. It goes, "Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." What was he thinking when he came up with that one...?

My first thought was that he had a great sense of humor. That would pretty well describe the average lifestyle of people living back then. and if I remember my history correctly, there were probably fewer 'healthier, wealthier, and wiser' people per capita, running around then than there are today. Maybe it was meant to be funny...or, since he was also somewhat of a philosopher it was a metaphor for awakening. Another thing for me to think about...hmmm.

I see him as a pretty cool guy that wore many hats. Publisher, statesman, scientist, philosopher, etc and after reading some more of his quotes, a great wit. And sometimes methinks, a nitwit. That's the perfect playmate for me. What can I say? I like to have fun, too.

Who could not love a guy that would think to go out and fly a kite in the middle of a lightening storm just to prove that lightning produced electricity. It scared the whatever out of those around him and they took off running. and if I were there I would be leading the pack. And then he invented bifocals, which I wear...or used to. Among several other things...that slip my mind right now. Duhhh

That's why I find Ben so much fun...he gives me ideas to play with. Except I leave the kite flying up to him. I used to have a picture of him in my computer that for some reason I can't find...hmmm. But anyhow, I thought I'd like to get one and carry it in my wallet. Or even better, several of them. Do you know, he's such a great inspiration they even put his picture on a hundred dollar bill? I wonder if George Washington is jealous?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

My roller skating sweater...

What's a...serious side?