Baby it's cooooold outside.

Since moving to New England, winter has come to mean several things to me. One of them is...it's time to put away the shorts and sandals and haul out the boots and long underwear...just in case.

Why do I wear shorts at my age? Sylvia says that I have good legs...for a guy. ' If 'ya got it, flaunt it' I always say. And besides...they're comfortable. Long underwear on the other hand is also comfortable...once they're on. But trying to get into the puppies isn't. I have big feet, long legs and takes a lot of grunting to get them on. Today is another 'long-underwear day, the same as yesterday. But I'm a quick learner. Guess what I'm wearing.

Yesterday began the same as usual...in the morning. It was a work day at my day job. Because I'm not about to turn into a mountain goat and take the shortcut...up and down hills...to get there by walking, I take the long way around via two buses. The tricky part is making connections. If I miss the one downtown then I have to walk the rest of the way. Even with my long legs, it still takes 20 minutes...but on flat streets.

Guess what happened yesterday. Yep, I missed the bus. Now it's cold and icy out. I had just been to the doctor as a follow-up to my eye surgery. One of the admonitions he gave me was, "Stay off the ice." And I'm good at following directions...sometime. So I decided to hit the other way and go into the little store by the bus stop. I noticed people there holding cups of coffee. I can never be accused of being a coffee connoisseur. The only criteria I have is that it's wet...it doesn't even have to be hot.

That's when I made a wonderful discovery. Vanilla coffee...because I had no choice. That's all that was left. But I loved it, it was hot and I waited for the bus with a new experience. Today is another work day. Maybe I'll miss connections again. Mebbe. Long underwear, hot Vanilla coffee and a good attitude on a cold day. How good can life get?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...