An incredible blessing...

The other night I had something happen that I can laugh at because it happened to me. At the time I would have numbered somewhere among my 'most embarassing moments.' But looking back, it's yet another reason to count my blessings. This is what happened.

I was taking the baby, aka Cherokee Elvis, out to the backyard to pee and... whatever. It was just as the 11 o'clock news was starting. Carrying him in my arms, I opened the back door to our enclosed porch, stepped on the one step I had to get down and...kawabanga kaboom. I slipped on the ice and fell onto the blacktop on my patookis. My first thought? " God, I hope no one sees me like this." Huh?

Now I knew I had hit my head on the siding because I felt it, my pants are covered with snow, I'm sitting on the ground...and I'm worried about my 'image'? Do you know what the baby was doing while I was sitting there? The little twerp was not paying a bit of attention to me. He was still on the leash, had his leg lifted and was peeing and looking around like he normally does to 'see what he could see.' Not a care in the world. He didn't even glance at me.

I picked myself up, brushed myself off and took him the rest of the way into the yard so he could finish his nightly duties. When I went into the house, I was laughing at what just happened and told Sylvia.

She didn't think it was as funny as I did, because, as she pointed out, I could have gotten hurt...badly. But...but...but...I didn't I tried to protest. Then I felt the burning on my arm and rolled up my sleeve and saw the scratch. It went from wrist to elbow and was bleeding. My first thought was it looked like I was nicked by a Samurai sword and I thought it was funny. Hey...what can I tell you, other than I have a weird sense of humor.

The bottom line of this story is that I experienced another incredible blessing in my life. At 71 years old, taking that kind of a fall I could certainly have gotten hurt... bigtime. I laughed because I didn't...but it was only for the grace of God that I didn't.

As I take time and reflect on all the time 'things the could have been worse'... but weren't I realize that maybe...just maybe I should appreciate all the wonderful blessings I have every day and not take anything for granted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...