In the words of Thomas Merton...

One of the funnest things I can think of are some of the quotes that I come across that I find interesting. This is one of them.

"Finally I am coming to the conclusion that my highest ambition is to be what I am. That I will never fulfill my obligation to surpass myself unless I first accept myself and if I accept myself fully in the right way, I will already have surpassed myself."

That's pretty powerful and profound stuff. I like it. I had to read it a couple of times to understand what the dude was talking about. I'll have to admit that I do have a few duuuuuuh moments every now and again. But sometimes...since I'm not an expert on anything, I have to put my own meaning into the words I read.

My conclusion, (and 'old Tommy boy' was talking about himself when he wrote it) was that unless I accept myself today just as I am, I will have no regrets about the past, because it's the choices that I made that make me who I am today

It took me 71 plus years to get to be who I am today. And I wouldn't change a thing or go back and fix anything. I have the people that I love today in my life because of those choices. One little tweaking along the way, makes me realize I'd have been a different person on a different road with different people in my life...and I ain't gonna give up anybody.

That's what I figure the 'self-acceptance' thing is all about. I don't play with the 'if only I'd have done this or that' idea. I am who I am because of it all...and I'm still growing because I realize that I can. It's fun. Life is tough at times, sure. But it's nothing I haven't gotten through before.

Now I'm off to find some other things that make me happy. Like chasing my honey around the dining room table. Just kidding. :) ...or am I? I'll never tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

My roller skating sweater...

What's a...serious side?