My introduction to Theater...

It all began many moons ago. At my age, this requires a great memory...or something. Anyhow, at around age 8 or 9 I landed the role as the male lead in a production of a play at Slovenian Home in Cleveland.

I grew up in an ethnic neighborhood. The kids all spoke fluent English as well as fluent Slovenian. How did I land the role? I guess I had three qualifications they needed...plus they must not have had much to pick from. Even though I was the youngest kid in the group, I was the tallest and looked 'older', I spoke Slovenian, had a good memory and could remember the lines and as a bonus...I could polka, which was part of 'the part'.

Roughly, the play was about a guy who went back to the 'old country' and met up with the girl he left behind. While he was gone, this other dude kinda got 'hung up' on the girl in question. Jealousy raised it's head...big time. But in a funny way. Sound like a pretty 'adult' concept for a bunch of kids to pull off? Nah, we grew up 'fun lovingly' early.

Anyhow, I can still remember one of my lines from the play. I'll paraphrase it in English 'cause my 'second language spelling' is rustier than a forgotten nail in the rain. A loose translation would be, "Mary, my Mary, how the heck are you? Long time no see." Then the fun began. And the music. And the polkas.

I think that's when I got hooked on musicals, theater and the 'backstage', behind the scenes interest that's grown over the years. I really did have a lot of fun growing up...even if I had to do it faster than most kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...