Once upon a time...she gave me a 'book'.

Before Sylvia and I were married, I told her I wanted to 'write a book'. As fate would have it I also married my biggest fan and supporter. Over the years, I took several 'writing classes' and my honey gifted me with quite a few books on writing.

With each one, she'd inscribe it with special words that showed she was beside me and behind me in my 'dream'. Up until that ONE Christmas, the genre I was focused on was historical fiction. But...and there's always a 'but' when a major turning point comes up...she missed the mark and gave me a book by Stephen R. Donaldson, 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, White Gold Wielder."

It was my introduction to 'fantasy fiction which is the LAST thing I would enjoy because it was in the #1 spot on my Uninterested List. But to be polite...and not to let her know my 'feelings' about it, I read it. It seemed like Tommy and I did have something in common. We both wore 'white gold wedding bands' but his power was in his ring. Hmmm. When I found out that it was part of a trilogy it became like a 'peanut'...one was not enough. I read another. Then the other.
And found out there was another trilogy and I was off in a 'new direction'. I pivoted genres like a ballet dancer on point.

Then I discovered 'by another accident' that Writers' Village University was having a 'free' f2k writing class. The price was right so I took it. That's where I learned to write the way I do. The support was incredible...and Mortimer P. Snodgrass, the fly on the wall, first came to life and has been flying with me ever since.

My honey, not the most patient person God ever created, would read my 'unpublished' writing and ask me..."When exactly are you planning on writing 'the book'?" I'd say, "When the time is right." Now Sylvia is no longer by my side...but she's still in my heart and asking the same question. And my response hasn't changed a bit. "When the time is right." I trust the timing...for everything.

The end of one story...the beginning of another.

Comments

Edward Q McBeth said…
Like you John, I always thought to myself...when the time is right! But then it occurred to me....the time might run out before the time is right....yikes....I'm writing now.

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...