Teaching them to read....?

While I was sitting drinking my coffee, I looked back (hey, I've got a lot of looking experience under my belt) I thought of all the pleasure I got out of 'reading'. I've got my Mom to thank for that. She taught me the alphabet and 'how play with words' before I started kindergarten. I've been hooked on 'words' ever since.

Then I was reading the paper about training sessions for Literacy Volunteers. It got me thinking
(like I need help with that one), how many people in this world not only know the 'joy' of reading but can't even decipher words that pop up in every day life? How would it impact their life? How would they know what wonders were in the dictionary? Or how to fill out an application for a job?

Some, I would imagine would think there was 'something wrong' with themselves if they couldn't do it. And worse yet...what would people think of them if they didn't know how and were afraid to admit it? Street signs would be a mystery. Computers?...forget it. And I wonder how this world would change for one person if they could 'read'? What if that person was...me?

There's so much in life to laugh and sing about...but that isn't one of them. Life has been good to me and maybe it's time that instead of taking so much for granted I start appreciating how good it's been simply because I can...READ. Hmmm. I wonder.....?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...