Assumptions gone....wrong?

There was a time in my life, I didn't like the word ASSUME because I thought it was a donkey word because of the way it was spelled. Ass-u-me. To me it meant that it would make an 'ass' out of either 'you' or me. And that was one word that had a lot of kick. But I changed my mind. Or actually my 'experience' changed it for me. End of that story and the beginning of another one.


Once upon a time, (a story has to start somewhere) not too long ago, the mail arrived. In it was my freebie 3-in-1 camera that I got for 'trying something out...no risk involved' jobbie. And, like the 'kid with a new toy' guy that I am, I got excited! Rushing down to the store (where I used to work), I eagerly showed Avni,a co-worker, my new hi-tech camera and asked him how to use it. As young as he is (he calls me grandpa), he knows a bunch about 'new stuff'. Looking at it for a second, he took my picture and did a video of me and erased it and said that that was all there was to it. I assumed it was EZ. First assumption...gone wrong. Strike one!


Taking it home, I read the directions in the small book (written in four languages which three of which I didn't understand), I managed to find the power button and turn it on. I assumed that what I read would be written in an English that anyone with half a brain would understand. Well, my 'good' half of the brain must have taken a vacation, because I couldn't get it to work like it was supposed to. Second assumption...gone wrong. Strike two! I figured three strikes and this thing is OUTta here...headed for the trash can.


I sat down a reread the directions...again. This time I took a magnifying glass to make sure I saw all where all the 'teeny' lines were pointed at in the 'button explanation'. Since I had my cataract/lens replacement surgery I have to take my glasses OFF to read the fine print, the peeping glass was just an 'make-sure enhancer. Aha...success. I assumed that finally I knew what I was doing. Strike three! But this time the results were different. By fiddling with the buttons and thinking I was taking a snapshot I 'accidentlly' did a 2-in-1 event that I'm happy with. This is the what caused a turn-around for the camera. Whoopeee. It's headed for the dresser drawer instead of the junk yard.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...