"I want to live, not merely survive..." ~ I Gotta Be Me



Songs and movies have produced a mega-bunch of seeds that are plopped in my ‘Garden of Thought. A lot of ‘em must’ve gotten planted ‘somewhere’, because NOW instead of single flowers, I’m getting them by the bouquet.

Like fer instance, I really dug the movie ‘Auntie Mame'. Rosalind Russell proclaimed in her proundly 'Mame way',“Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death.” I had a bag of popcorn so I wasn’t hungry at the time...but later I remembered.

Then along came Ricky Nelson singing ‘Garden Party’. A song I could dance to. The part where he sings, “But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well. You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself “ didn’t sink in while I was busy a rockin’ and a rollin'. But later... more seeds.

‘I Gotta Be Me’, sung by Sammy Davis Jr. didn’t have a clicker in my mind... until I realized it was MySong. I was busy doing ‘my thing’ at the time. “ I can't be right for somebody else if I'm not right for me...” At the time it didn’t make as much sense as it does now. I can’t give anything to anyone else if I’m bankrupt myself ...so I don’try that one.

NOW that I’m 72 and I still like to tell ‘John stories’. Sometimes I'll say I’m 31 because to me... age is just a number. That one is always good for a second look at me and a 'huh?' expression. Other times I use the barter systmem and it works like a charm. I say I’m 100 and I get a compliment, “You look good for your age .” In return they get to ‘smile and laugh’. Fair trade.

I’m guess at this point, I’m ‘adult’ enough to walk in the Hallways of the Responsiblity and carry my own ‘stuff’, but young enough to ‘play with my food on the 'banquet table' under my nose. And wisdom? I got a lot of that. I’m wise enough to understand that I’m not a Know-It-All and odds are... that’ll never happen. And I ain’t got time to figure that one out.

Heck, my life is not the ‘fairy tale’ kind, but I’m happy! Whatever lands on my plate this 24 hours, I’ll deal with it. I don’t especially ‘like’ it ALL. But what I like is only my ‘opinion’ that shows who I am. It’s like ONE abstract painting. It the same picture but looks a little different to different people.

I blog...because I like to see what I’m thinking. It’s fun! And I like to play with the ABCs and the Dictionary. Why? That’s who I am and what I have fun doing.
I gotta be me and since I can’t please everyone...I got to please myself. And with the ‘banquet’ I have to work with I know I’ll never go hungry. Figuratively? Literally? Different story. But either way, I’ve got a big appetite. I am what I yam. Yam? I sound like a sweet potato. Stop! You are gonna say, "I am what I yam are you? No 'sweet potato story'. PLEASE!!! *The internal dialogue began*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...