October...'Cancer' Awareness Month...

When I was talking to my friend John about ‘cancer’ one day, he said something I thought ‘hit the nail on the head’. He said, “Many people become frightened as soon as they hear the 'word' cancer enter the conversation, than they are of the disease itself. If they would change the word to something else, even if it were a nonsensical word, much of the fear would go away and understanding 'it' would make significant progress." There are many forms of cancer, many forms of treatment available, and many,many survivors and resources available for support. And yet they are all grouped together in one box labeled...CANCER.

POLIO was another word that a long time ago had the same effect. One of my earliest memories I brought with me from childhood was in the early part of the 40's. I'm not an expert on anything having to do with that particular one, but I remember the fear on my parents face when the doctor told them I might never walk again, that my legs were paralyzed.

I recall lying in the hospital for a few months and crying myself to sleep because Mom and Dad would visit me...but couldn't take me home. I was scared and alone...more alone than I ever felt since. But thankfully, I did recover. And the disease that once almost robbed me of roller skates and dancing shoes is almost history. I know what 'scared...alone...helpless...and recovery' feels like.

In 1980 I met my wife Sylvia. We were married 30 years. During the last half of those years I watched what ‘fear’ of the ‘C-word’ can do. I stood helplessly watching her go through it all...and still she still was able to smile and laugh in between ‘her bouts’. She had brain tumors. Was it ...cancer? No, not that time. Then other things happened...and always there was the question...was it cancer? I’ve sat outside operating rooms, praying she would come out of it OK...and she did. But she told me, “John, there are some things that I have to do by myself. As much as you want to help...you can’t” And I prayed.

I sat with her through various cancer tests, visits to the Cancer Center, melanoma cancer doctor, heard her talk about the ‘fear’ of the C-word. When she spoke of it, she spoke from experiences she had. If nothing else, her words will a some way help someone else going through the same thing or being near someone going through it.


Syl used to tell me, “If I had the money, I would....” Then she would go one to tell me what she would do. Cancer research is one of those things that were on her list. None of us have the 'resources' to do anything alone, but together we can make a difference.

It’s no secret that I have fun writing. I always have and I always will. I may not be a ‘cracker jack’ at the written word, but I’m going to write books. Not because I want to be rich and famous, because I want most of the proceeds to go to fund the Sylvia Romanelli Crocker Foundation. Part of those proceeds will go for more research for a speedy cure for the ‘C-word’. Maybe to some it may seem like an impossible task for a guy my age and with my present financial resources to get the SRC Foundation up and running, but for me the only impossible thing for me to understand is the word...IMPOSSIBLE. Watch me! One day at a time is all I have to work with, but one day...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It only happens in the movies....???

What's a...serious side?

My roller skating sweater...